There are a lot of organizations out there doing great work at every level, from local community groups to global organizations. No matter their size, location, or reach, they all need your support in order to continue their invaluable conservation efforts around the world.
If you’re concerned about conservation issues and would like to help, you can do so by supporting the organizations listed below. You can do this by making a donation, volunteering your time, or simply by paying attention and bringing awareness of their work to your friends and family.
World Wildlife Fund
WWF is the world’s largest conservation organization, working in over 100 countries and with a membership of 1.2 million members in the United States alone, and 5 million members around the world. WWF works to protect biodiversity on a global scale. Their primary aims are:
- To protect wild populations and natural ecosystems
- To minimize pollution
- To promote efficient and sustainable use of natural resources
- 79.4% of expenses go towards conservation projects
- 7.3% of expenses go towards admininstration
- 13.1% of expenses go towards fundraising
The Nature Conservancy
The Nature Conservancy works to protect approximately 100 million acres of land around the world, land that holds delicate eco-systems and houses threatened wildlife communities. One of The Nature Conservancy’s more interesting approaches to conservation is their debt for nature swaps, where The Nature Conservancy arranges for debt forgiveness in developing countries, in exchange for reserves that protect pockets of rich biodiversity in developing countries.
- 80.2% of expenses go towards conservation projects
- 11.4% of expenses go towards admininstration
- 8.3% of expenses go towards fundraising
If you’re aware of an organization that is absent from the list but that should be listed here, you can contact us here.